Namaste, and Happy Monday! Here at Funky Yoga we try to help all yogis understand that asanas [poses] are only one of the steps of the 8 of the ashtanga system enlightenment. Although they are important, asanas are not the only way to practice yoga.
In fact, the first layer of yoga is Yama, which is made of 5 codes of ethics and control. The first of these ethics is Ahimsa, or non-violence. This is why yogis make a daily effort to lead a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle; their eating habits do not contribute to violence towards animals.
Having that said, it has been a daily struggle for me personally to accept that ice cream is not vegan and does contribute to the harm of cows. I understand that there is almond milk ice cream, but it is expensive and does have preservatives that I would rather not put in my body.
Alas, I found a solution, and its extremely simple, nutrient-rich, and most importantly, tasty!
- 1 heavy tablespoon of cacao [NOT cocoa!] poweder
- 1/3 cup of almond milk
- 2 frozen, brown bananas
- *Important* Make sure to peel the bananas before freezing!
Now just throw them in either a food processor or high speed blender, and voila!
Vegan Ice Cream!
Here's some nutritional facts to further convince you if you aren't already
- 32 mg of Magnesium per banana + 27 mg in the cacao powder = 91 mg/Magnesium
- 422 mg of Potassium per banana = 844 mg of Potassium
- 14 grams of natural, unprocessed sugar per banana = 28 grams of unrefined sugar
- 18% of the daily recommended value of Vitamin C just from the cacao!
Power to the yogis! Thank you for reading, and wherever you are, practice! :)
Dan the Yoga Man
Need new yoga gear? Check out our new arrivals in hats, women's and men's apparel, and more here